Friday 8 May 2009

Bees


My bee clothing, jacket with hood and gloves has arrived. I have been assured it is all I need, jeans and wellies will be sufficient protection for the lower body! The idea is, the jacket can be worn by anyone whereas a complete outfit couldn't - I'm 5' 3, my husband 5'11, youngest son even taller and daughter in between. If any of us become seriously keen we can rethink but the bees do belong to my eldest son, the rest of us are mere observers.


The last few days have been wet and windy, not ideal flying condition for bees, so there has been little activity. As they are a small nucleus they are being fed a sugar solution via a contact feeder, placed above the crown board. This will probably need refilling on Sunday, my first chance to see them - weather permitting.

They are fascinating creatures, even more so as I learn more about them.

The only person to have been stung so far is my husband... right on the tip of his nose! Thankfully he is not affected by stings of any kind. I am slightly more concerned as for me a nettle sting will last for 3 or 4 days and be quite painful. I will just have to make sure I don't get stung.

No comments: